How do I reverse a credit that QuickBooks applied to a vendor bill?
QuickBooks applied credits to a vendor bill that I don't want applied and there seems to be no way to reverse it. These credits no longer show up in the Set Credits window. How do I unapply a vendor bill credit?
To turn off automatically apply credits to bills:
- From the Edit menu, select Preferences.
- Scroll to and select Bills
- Click the Company Preferences tab.
- Uncheck the Automatically use discounts and credits check box.
- Click OK.
To unapply a credit from a bill, the credit needs to be deleted then re-entered. Follow the steps below:
- Locate the credit you wish to unapply. To locate the bill credit:
- From the Edit menu, select Find and choose Advance Find.
- In the Filter list, click to select Transaction Type.
- From the Transaction Type drop-down, select Bill Credit.
- In the Filter list, click to select Name.
- From the Name drop-down, select the vendor with the credit.
- (Optional) To narrow down the search, you may wish to select a date range, enter a reference number, or enter an amount.
- Click Find.
- From the search results, double-click on the bill credit you wish to unapply to open the bill credit window.
- Memorize the bill credit so you don't have to manually re-enter the bill credit. To memorized the bill credit:
- With the bill credit opened from above, go to the Edit menu, and select Memorized Credit.
- Click OK.
- Note the date of the bill credit.
- To delete the bill credit:
- With the bill credit opened from above, go to the Edit menu, and select Delete Credit.
- To re-enter the credit:
- From the Lists menu, and select Memorized Transaction List.
- Double-click on the bill credit to open the Enter Bills Credit window.
- Change the date to reflect the original bill credit date.
- Click Save & Close.