How do I check which version and release of QuickBooks is installed?
Last updated: Sep 21, 2012
Article ID: HOW12090
There are times when you need to know which version and release of QuickBooks you have installed on your computer system, such as:
• When you need to know if product update was successfully installed
• When you need to use the Automated Password Reset Tool
You may use one of the four methods below to find the QuickBooks product version and release information for EasyStart, Basic, Pro, Premier, or Enterprise Solutions.
The product edition and version appear in the title bar, at the top of the product window in Version 2007 and earlier. Multicurrency Edition and Version 2008 and later do not show the year in the title bar.
For example, the screen shot below shows the title bar for QuickBooks Version 2006.
Press Ctrl + 1 or F2 to open the Product Information window. The version, edition, and release appear at the top of the window on the Product line. Multicurrency Edition and Versions 2008 and 2009 do not show the year in the Product line.
Note: If you cannot open QuickBooks to find the product information because the QuickBooks Login screen appears and you do not know the Admin password, then click Cancel. QuickBooks will default to the No Company Open window. Alternatively, to open QuickBooks press and hold the Ctrl key, and then double-click the QuickBooks program icon on your desktop. Continue pressing the Ctrl key until you see the No Company Open window, then release the Ctrl key.
If QuickBooks still does not open:
- Right-click the QuickBooks program icon on your desktop and choose Properties.
- Click the Find Target button.
- On the window that appears, highlight the program executable file (QBW32.EXE). In versions older than Version 6.0 (1999), the executable file is called QBW.EXE. Right click on QBW32.EXE and choose Properties. Note: Depending on whether your Windows Folder Options are set to show or hide extensions for known file types, the file may display as QBW32.EXE or QBW32.
- On the Properties window that appears click the General tab. The Location line shows the year of your QuickBooks version.
- Click the Version tab and under Item name, click File Version. To the right, under Value, the last release update to your copy of QuickBooks appears. For example: 18.0C R7. The number 18 refers to QuickBooks 2009. The “C” identifies the program as Canada English. The R7 refers to maintenance release 7. (See the chart below for other versions).
|Year ||Canada English ||Canada French |
|2013 ||V23.0C R1 ||n/a |
|2012 ||V22.0C R1 to R9 ||n/a |
|2011 ||V20.0C R1 to R6 ||n/a |
|2010 ||V19.0C R1 to R5 ||n/a |
|2009 ||V18.0C R1 to R7 ||V18.0F R1 to R8 |
|2008 ||V17.0C R1 to R7 ||n/a |
|Multicurrency Edition ||V16.0C R20 to R25 ||n/a |
|2007 ||V16.0C R1 to R4 ||V16.0F R1 to R7 |
|2006 ||V15.0C R1 to R7 ||V15.0F R1 to R7 |
|2005 ||V14.0C R1 to R7 ||V14.0F R1 to R7 |
|2004 ||V13.0C R1 to R4 ||n/a |
|2003 ||V12.0C R1 to R7 ||V12.0F R1 to R7 |
|2002 ||V10.0C R1 to R5 ||n/a |
|2001 ||V9.0C R1 to R7 ||V9.0F R1 to R6 |
|2000 ||V8.0C R1 to R10 ||n/a |
|1999 ||V6.0C R1 to R10 ||n/a |
|1998 ||V5.0C R1 to R8 ||n/a |
|1996/97 ||V4.5C R1 to R19 ||n/a |
The product edition and version appear in Add or Remove Programs in Windows.
- Click the Microsoft Windows Start button and select Run. Enter control in the Open field and click OK.
- Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the program list, locate the version of QuickBooks you have installed.