How do I change the version of QuickBooks that opens a QBO file?
Last updated: Oct 22, 2012
Article ID: HOW15565
I have several versions of QuickBooks installed on my computer and when I download an online banking statement it opens the wrong QuickBooks. How do I change the version of QuickBooks that opens the QBO file?
It is recommended that when using online banking in QuickBooks, to save the file to the computer first and then import the QBO file. Once the file is saved. Open QuickBooks and go to File, click on utilities, click on import, select web connect files and choose the QBO file.
There are two issues with this recommendation. One the customer does not have the option to save the file and two the customer wants to have the right version of QuickBooks open every time they do an online banking download.
If you do not have the choice to save there are two options
- Close QuickBooks and right click on the my computer icon on the desktop and select explore.
- In the menu bar click on Tools from the drop down select the folders options.
- Click on the file types tab, from the list select QBO; click on the advanced button and select confirm open after download
- Click OK and apply.
Change the setting in the QuickBooks company file. This option is only effective if this is the file that is open or opening and the right user is logged in.
QuickBooks 2008 or later
- In QuickBooks go to edit, select preferences and click on service connection.
- On my preferences tab, select "give me the option of saving file whenever I download web connect data and click OK.
- In Quickbooks go to edit, select preferences, click online, select company preferences tab, and select give me the option of saving file whenever I download web connect data; click OK
To change the version of QuickBooks that opens
- Close QuickBooks, right click on my computer icon on the desktop, select explore.
- In the menu click on tools, select folder options and select the file type tab.
- Locate QBO in the list, select change and click browse.
- Select your QuickBooks program you want to open when downloading banking information. An example in QuickBooks 2009: C:\program files\intuit\QuickBooks 2009\QBW32.exe).
- Close QuickBooks, click on the start or windows icon and open the control panel.
- Select Programs, select make a file type open in a specific program and click browse
- Select the QuickBooks program you want to open when downloading banking information. An example in QuickBooks 2009: C:\program files\intuit\QuickBooks 2009\QBW32.exe).