How do I delete or void a pay cheque?
Last updated: Sep 20, 2012
Article ID: HOW12248
Deleting a pay cheque
- Display the pay cheque you want to delete.
- Go to the Edit menu and then click Delete Pay Cheque.
(If the pay cheque was for a prior quarter, you may need to adjust and re-file your payroll taxes for the quarter.)
Voiding a pay cheque
You should rarely need to void pay cheques. However, you may want to void a pay cheque if it was recently issued with an error. Note that if the pay cheque was issued in a previous month, you may have to re-file your monthly CRA payroll forms if you void a pay cheque and issue a new one.
- From the Employees menu, choose Edit/Void Pay Cheques.
- Enter a date range in the "Show pay cheques from/through" fields.
- Select the pay cheque you want to void.
- Click Void.
- Follow the instructions in the message that appears.
After you void the pay cheque, a notation is included in the Memo field and the net amount of the cheque is changed to 0.00.
- Click Done to close the Edit/Void Pay Cheques window.
How does deleting or voiding a pay cheque affect the year-to-date amounts?
- If you delete the most recent pay cheque, QuickBooks updates the year-to-date figures to reflect the change.
- The year-to-date figures for pay cheques you write in the future will be correct.