Set up folder permissions to share company files
Last updated: Jun 14, 2016
Article ID: HOW12213
Specific folder permissions are required for the QBDataServiceUserXX (see below) to open company files:
- QuickBooks 2016: QBDataServiceUser26
- QuickBooks 2015: QBDataServiceUser25
- QuickBooks 2014: QBDataServiceUser24
- QuickBooks 2013: QBDataServiceUser23
Errors that occur while setting up or working in multi-user mode can be time-consuming to diagnose and correct. To help investigate and resolve the error, we recommend downloading the QuickBooks File Doctor, which analyzes whether your computer and network connection are set up properly for multi-user mode. If the tool doesn't help you resolve the error, you can return to this article and try the solutions described here.
Use the QuickBooks File Doctor
To resolve the issue manually, select the best option for your situation or perform each one in order until the issue is resolved:
Ensure the installation directories have the correct permissions. Please read the entire article before taking any steps.
Note: If running Microsoft Windows Home edition, the Security tab may not be available in Normal mode. If it is not available, restart the computer in Safe mode. (Start the computer, and then immediately press F8 several times until the Advanced Boot window opens. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.)
To verify that permissions are set correctly:
- Right-click the folder that contains the company file and select Properties.
- Click the Security tab, and then click Advanced.
- Click QBDataServiceUserXX depending on your QuickBooks version and click Edit.
Note: In Windows 8, 7 or Vista:
- Click QBDataServiceUserXX depending on your QuickBooks version and click Edit. This displays a second Advanced Security Settings window.
- Click QBDataServiceUserXX depending on your QuickBooks version and click Edit a second time to display the Permissions window.
- Verify that the following settings are selected in the Allow column of the Permissions window
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
- Ensure the following folders have the Full Control administrator permissions for the Everyone group or user name
- Note: All folders may not apply to each installation as they refer to a specific version of QuickBooks.
- To change folder permissions in Windows 8, 7 or Vista:
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX.
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- On your keyboard, press Windows + E to open the Computer window.
- Navigate to the (parent) folder on the list above.
- Right-click the folder and select Properties.
- Click the Security tab.
- Select Everyone in the Group or user names box.
Note: If Everyone is not listed in the box, click Add, enter Everyone in the Enter the object names to select field, and click OK. If the Multiple Names Found window displays, select Everyone and click OK.
- Select Full Control and click OK.
- Repeat these steps for each folder on the list above.
Computers that have hosting multi-user access enabled but are not hosting company files can inadvertently go into Alternate Hosting mode and take ownership of a company file. When this happens, other users will not be able to open the file