How to configure Norton Personal Firewall 2005 and 360 for QuickBooks program and payroll updates
Last updated: Oct 22, 2012
Article ID: HOW15487
Internet security and personal firewall application settings can affect how QuickBooks accesses payroll, online business services, company data files and program updates online. Incorrect settings can result in errors.
There are several QuickBooks programs that must be allowed access to and from the Internet (outgoing and incoming access). The listing of these files by version and their locations are listed here. This list will open in a separate window for your convenience.
To configure Norton Personal Firewall 2005 for QuickBooks updates, data file access, and payroll downloads:
Note: If you have a more recent version, your steps may vary to some degree.
- Run Norton Liveupdate. If this does not resolve the access issue, continue with the below steps.
- Open the Norton Personal Firewall 2005 application.
- In the left pane, select Status & Settings.
- Click Personal Firewall.
- Click Configure.
- Click the Programs tab.
- If the necessary programs are not listed, please add them to the list:
- Click Add.
- Using the list appropriate to your version, navigate to the folder containing the unlisted file. (For example, C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks is the default installation directory but your directory might differ.)
- Select the file and click Open.
- Repeat this process for each additional file that was not listed in the Internet Applications.
- Click OK.
Your Norton Personal Firewall 2005 is now configured for QuickBooks QuickBooks updates, data file access, and payroll downloads.
For Norton 360:
- Select Tasks and Settings.
- Then click on Advanced Settings on the right.
- Then click on Firewall protection settings.
- Finally, click on the program rules tab at the top.
- Ensure that all appropriate necessary programs are allowed. Add missing programs as needed.