How to manually install QuickBooks 2012 updates
Last updated: Mar 19, 2015
Article ID: HOW17733
March 2015 - QuickBooks 2012 Product Update
March 2015 - R16 Update for QuickBooks 2012
Note: If you are currently using QuickBooks 2012 or an earlier version, you must upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks in order to use the new Tax Table Update for Payroll.
For instructions on how to determine what version of QuickBooks you are currently using, go to: Which QuickBooks Version Is Installed
To purchase the newest version of QuickBooks, contact us
Install the update
Due to a minor database database change included in this release, you will be required to upgrade your company file again. However, this upgrade process will not take as long as the original upgrade.
- Download the update and save it to a convenient location on your computer. Click the link in the table below that applies to the edition of QuickBooks you are updating.
- If QuickBooks is open, close the application.
- Locate and double-click the downloaded update file. If you have difficulty finding the file on your computer, see Find a file on a computer that is running Windows.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks, and then check the current program release.
- Press F2 to open the Product Information window.
- The first line in this window displays the QuickBooks 2012 version followed by the release number (for example, QuickBooks Pro 2012 Release R16). If the release number contains R16, then you have successfully installed the latest release.
- Click OK to close the window.
Important: If you are currently using QuickBooks 2012 or earlier, you must install the latest version of QuickBooks in order to use the new Payroll Update.
If using QuickBooks in a Multi User environment, follow the above steps on the other systems. Once each machine has the update, log into the company file as normal.
These product updates are applicable for QuickBooks EasyStart 2012, QuickBooks Pro 2012, QuickBooks Premier 2012, Premier Industry-specific editions 2012 and QuickBooks Enterprise 12.0.
If you have the Automatic Update feature turned on in QuickBooks, QuickBooks may have already installed this update for you. To check if this update has already been installed, press F2 to open the Product Information window. If the release number contains R16, then you already have the latest release.
Important steps to ensure a successful installation of QuickBooks updates
- If you receive a security warning when downloading or installing the QuickBooks update and you obtained the update from this site, click Run to continue the installation.
- After installing the update, immediately restart that computer before using QuickBooks.
- Intuit strongly recommends you not update a company data file across a network connection. Copy the company file to a local installation, open the company file and allow the update process to complete, and then close the file and copy it back to the network location.
- Some QuickBooks updates will include a change to the data file structure. When opening the company file for the first time after installing a product update, you may see a progress bar as the structure change is implemented. It is important to allow this change to complete; do not end task on QuickBooks during this process.