How to manually install QuickBooks 2013 updates
Last updated: Mar 28, 2016
Article ID: HOW19716
What is new in this update?
To see what has changed in the latest QuickBooks 2013 Update, go to What's New in QuickBooks 2013?.
For instructions on how to determine what version of QuickBooks you are currently using, go to Which version of QuickBooks is installed?
Install the update
- Download the update and save it to a convenient location on your computer. Click the link in the table below that applies to the edition of QuickBooks you are updating.
- If QuickBooks is open, close the application.
- Locate and double-click the downloaded update file. If you have difficulty finding the file on your computer, see find a file on a computer that is running Windows.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks, and then check the current program release.
- Press F2 to open the Product Information window.
- The first line in this window displays the QuickBooks 2013 version followed by the release number (for example, QuickBooks Pro 2013 Release R12).
- Click OK to close the window.
- If using QuickBooks in a Multi-User environment, follow the above steps on the other systems. Once each machine has the update, log into the company file as normal.
Important: If you are currently using QuickBooks 2013, you must install the latest version of QuickBooks in order to use the latest Payroll Updates.
Products affected by this update:
These product updates are applicable for QuickBooks EasyStart 2013, QuickBooks Pro 2013, QuickBooks Premier 2013, Premier Industry-specific editions 2013 and QuickBooks Enterprise 13.0.
If you have the Automatic Update feature turned on in QuickBooks, QuickBooks may have already installed this update for you. To check if this update has already been installed, press F2 to open the Product Information window.
Important steps to ensure a successful installation of QuickBooks updates
- If you receive a security warning when downloading or installing the QuickBooks update and you obtained the update from this site, click Run to continue the installation.
- After installing the update, immediately restart that computer before using QuickBooks.
- Intuit strongly recommends you not update a company data file across a network connection. Copy the company file to a local installation, open the company file and allow the update process to complete, and then close the file and copy it back to the network location.
- Some QuickBooks updates will include a change to the data file structure. When opening the company file for the first time after installing a product update, you may see a progress bar as the structure change is implemented. It is important to allow this change to complete; do not end task on QuickBooks during this process.