How to update QuickBooks
Last updated: Mar 28, 2016
Article ID: HOW15427
Periodically, Intuit provides updates to QuickBooks that you can update in product or download from the Internet. These updates, also called maintenance releases or "patches" (or payroll updates for QuickBooks Payroll customers), are free product releases that improve program functionality and fix known issues. Updates should not be confused with upgrades, which add significant new features or functions to the program.
QuickBooks provides four methods for downloading updates from the Internet: Manual Update Method, Automatic Update Method, Immediate Update Method, and Release Download Method. All of these methods require an Internet connection
To see what's changed in your version of QuickBooks, go to:
What's New in QuickBooks 2016
What's New in QuickBooks 2015
What's New in QuickBooks 2014
What's New in QuickBooks 2013
Once QuickBooks downloads an update, the program installs the necessary files to the correct location on your computer. The next time you restart QuickBooks, you are automatically prompted to install the update. In most cases, you must exit and restart QuickBooks before the update will take effect.
If you use QuickBooks Pro or Premier in multi-user mode, you need to install the update on each computer that has QuickBooks Pro or Premier installed on it. See the multi-user instructions below for information about sharing updates between networked computers.
Manual Update Method
Install the Update
- Download the update and save it to a convenient location on your computer. Click the link below that applies to the edition of QuickBooks you are updating. Please note, if you are using Internet Explorer, you may see a security message saying "This type of file could harm your computer" or "The signature of this program is correct or invalid". If you see this message, you can try using another Internet browser.
Note: To install the latest payroll updates, you must upgrade to QuickBooks 2015 or 2016. As of July 1st, 2015, the 2014 version of QuickBooks no longer has up to date payroll.
- If QuickBooks is open, close the application.
- Locate and double-click the downloaded update file. If you have difficulty finding the file on your computer, see finding a file on a computer that is running Windows.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks, and then check the current program release.
- Press F2 to open the Product Information window.
- The first line in this window displays the QuickBooks version followed by the release number.
- Click OK to close the window.
- For Payroll subscribers, you can also check your Tax Table version. Go the Employee menu, select My Payroll Service, then Tax Table Information.
Automatic Update Method (default setting)
QuickBooks is set up to automatically download updates from the Intuit server to your computer, whether or not QuickBooks is running. With this method, QuickBooks periodically checks the Intuit server for new updates and downloads new information gradually whenever your Internet connection is not heavily used. QuickBooks continues to download updates automatically until you disable the Automatic Update option.
To enable or disable the Automatic Update option, please follow these steps:
Go to the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks.
In the Update QuickBooks window, click the Options tab.
Select Yes to enable (or No to disable) the Automatic Update option.
If you enabled the Automatic Update option, select the updates you want to receive and clear the updates that you do not want in the Updates section.
If you disabled the Automatic Update, you will no longer be notified when a new update becomes available. However, you will occasionally receive a message asking if you would like to use the Update Service. This is a reminder to periodically check for updates and does not necessarily mean that an update is available.
- Click Save and then click Close.
If you experience problems with the automatic update, try the alternative Immediate Update Method.
Immediate Update Method
With this method, you can immediately download updates from the Intuit server to your computer. You can use this option at any time (even if Automatic Update is enabled) and you can immediately download, whether or not QuickBooks is open. It is recommend that you check for updates approximately once a month.
If you ever have to reinstall QuickBooks, you must also reinstall all applicable updates in the order they were released, otherwise you may not be able to open your company file.
To check for and install updates to QuickBooks, follow the steps below.
- Go to the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Update Now tab.
- Select the updates to download and click Get Updates. To see what is included in the update, in the Updates column, click the name of the update. A page is displayed that lists the changes/improvements in the update
- Exit QuickBooks. Depending on the version you have, QuickBooks will prompt you to install the update now or the next time you start your software. When it does, click Install Now or Yes to install the update. After installing the update, restart your computer.
Maintenance releases cannot be installed automatically. To install a maintenance release, close and reopen QuickBooks and then click Install Now
If you do not want to install updates using the update feature in QuickBooks or you are having problems with the update feature, you can download and install available updates. It is strongly recommended, however, that you use the update feature in QuickBooks to install updates.
If you own multiple copies of QuickBooks, be sure to update them all, otherwise you may not be able to open your company file(s). See the multi-user instructions below for information about sharing updates between networked computers
Updates for Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Premier
If you use QuickBooks Pro or Premier in multi-user mode, you need to install the update on each computer that has QuickBooks Pro or Premier installed on it. You can either connect to the Internet from each computer that has QuickBooks installed on it, or you can download the update to one computer on your network and share it.
To share an update, all QuickBooks Pro or Premier users on your network must complete the following steps:
- Open the shared company file.
- Go to the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Options tab.
- Set the Share Download option to Yes.
- Click the Save button.
Once everyone has completed these steps, updates that are downloaded will be distributed to all users. Note: When you turn on the Share Download option, QuickBooks downloads updates to the same location as the company file. Otherwise, QuickBooks downloads updates to the directory or folder where your copy of QuickBooks is installed. Installing new releases updates your QuickBooks company file. Once the company file has been updated, it may not be accessible using earlier releases of QuickBooks.