If you used our desktop (CD/Download) version to prepare your return last year, you can transfer your information from last year's return to this year's return, in either the Online or CD/Download versions. This helps you avoid re-entering personal information and carry-forward amounts. You can also transfer data from UFile and H&R Block tax files.
Transfer information from last year's return - CD/Download
- From the Welcome screen when you first start TurboTax, TurboTax searches your computer for previous year tax returns and lists them. Select one of these returns and click Transfer.
Tip: You can also go to the File menu and select Transfer [YEAR] Return. If there are no returns listed, that just means that TurboTax did not find any files in the default location on your computer. You may have saved your tax files to a different directory than what the program suggested. You'll have to browse or search for them. Search for:
- *.tt12 file if you usedTurboTax 2012 (.tt11 for TurboTax 2011, etc) or
- *.u12 file if you used UFile last year.
- *.h12 file if you used H&R Block
- Select how you want to fill out your tax return.
- Choose EasyStep if you want the program to step you through the tax preparation process by asking you a series of questions about your tax situation. TurboTax then automatically enters your tax information on the appropriate forms based on how you answered the questions.
- (CD/Download versions only) Choose Forms if you want to enter your tax information directly on the forms yourself. If you are very experienced with tax preparation, you might choose Forms.
- (Forms method) If you chose Forms, you'll be asked to verify your personal information.
- You are shown a summary of the information that will be transferred to the new return. Examples of information that is transferred include your personal information and unused credits for RRSPs or tuition.
- Click Continue.