Uninstall TurboTax from my computer
- On the Windows task bar, click Start.
- Select Settings, and then Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs and find TurboTax (Year) in the list.
- Click Remove.
QuickTax will be removed from your system.
Uninstalling TurboTax does not remove your tax return files. They remain so you can use them next year to transfer your carry forward information into next year's return.
Your tax return files are located in the following locations:
- TurboTax 2010 and later - C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\TurboTax\2xxx
- QuickTax 2007, 2008, 2009 - Desktop\My Documents\QuickTax\2007
- QuickTax 2006 and earlier - C:\QuickTax 2006\
Note: Before removing these files permanently, make sure you keep a copy of your final return. We recommend that you keep a backup copy of your file on a portable storage device (for example, a flash drive, USB key, or writeable CD) in case you need to refer to your return in the future. To open and view a previous year's return, you would need to reinstall TurboTax for that year on your computer.
You do not need to have the previous year's version of TurboTax installed to be able import or carry forward information from last year's return. All you need is your previous year's data file.