Your Answer

Questions about transferring tuition and education amounts.

Shouldn't the person who paid the tuition get to claim it?

In a perfect world, yes. But the CRA rules state that the student must first claim the tuition fees on their own return, regardless of who paid it. Once the student's tax payable is reduced to zero, they can transfer leftover amounts, up to $5000, to a spouse, parent, or grandparent.


Which parent should the student transfer to? Higher or lower income?

The student can transfer tuition to either parent, but only to one. However, don't transfer more than that person needs to reduce their tax payable to zero. Instead, the student should carry the excess forward to a future year when their own income is higher, and they need the additional tax credit.

Can the student split the amount transferred between parents?

No. Only one person can receive the transfer. If the student is making a provincial transfer as well, the same person must receive that transfer.

How much can the student transfer?

He or she can transfer up to $5,000 federally, and an additional $5,000 provincially ($5,914 for Ontario residents). These amounts are reduced by the portion of this year's tuition and education amounts that the student used on his or her own return.

Can one parent claim a transfer from one child and the other parent from a different child?

Yes. Each child should indicate on their paper T2202 or T2202A who they designate to receive their transfer.

Can a student transfer both federal and provincial amounts?

Yes. You must transfer them to the same person. See "How much can the student transfer?" (above) for limit.

Can the student transfer amounts that he carried forward from last year?

No. Only the student can claim carry forward amounts. The student cannot transfer these amounts. TurboTax uses carry forward amounts first to reduce the student's tax payable. In this way, if all his tuition and education amounts are not needed, the amounts that cannot be transferred are used first, and this year's amounts are available for transfer.

Is there an age limit for a student transferring tuition to his parent?

There is no age limit for a student transferring tuition to a parent, grandparent, spouse, or common-law partner.

Bookmark and Share


NETFILE Error Codes
List of most common NETFILE errors

TurboTax will not Install
Click here for an updated Backup Installer

NETFILE Error – Entries in Financial Statement require correction
Click here for a solution

NETFILE Error code 90308
Click here for more details.

TurboTax 2013 requires .NET Framework
You might be asked to install version 4.0. Please allow

Video Guides
TurboTax Canada answers your questions 

Product updates
Manually download updates to TurboTax

Step by Step guide and video

Did this article help you?
Your Feedback
Cancel Submit